Monday, January 29, 2007

Americans: Get Your Hearing Checked

Canada is a self-deprecating nation. We can laugh at our foibles and idiosyncrasies even if pointed out as an insult by other nationalities. Living in igloos, our obsession with curling, the fact that our national symbol is an overgrown rat, our love affair with hockey, Celine Dion - just take any stereotype image of Canada, craft it into an insult, throw in our way and we'll simply laugh it off like water off a beaver's back.

Except for me.

There is one supposed thing about Canada that when uttered by a foreigner (usually American) simply enrages me - that we supposedly pronounce about as ah-boot. Now I've lived in Canada all my life and have tramped far and wide across this nation and never once have I ever heard anyone say ah-boot. Not in Newfoundland, not in the Ottawa valley, not on native reserves, nor on the prairies, in Quebec or elsewhere. Absolutely, unequivocally, categorically, emphatically NEVER.

So where does this misconception come from? It is so absurd I can scarce speculate. But it is my sneaking suspicion that America doesn't listen to us anyways. So when Canada makes a statement along the lines of "Canada feels the softwood lumber dispute is a major outstanding bilateral trade issue" it sounds like this to the American ear: "Canada blah blah blah blah blah blah a boot Molsons" or something like that.

Pisses me off.

10 Comments:

Blogger D said...

Ah yes, I know exactly what you're talking ah-boot.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Fuff said...

LOL. Tell us what you really think Nanuk!

5:18 PM  
Blogger nanuk said...

D: Eh?

fuff: Eh?

Mr. Fab: Eh?

11:46 PM  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

Yeah, that one's always puzzled me as well. The only person I have ever heard saying "a-boot" is an American trying to talk like a Canadian.

I think that to Americans we sound like the adults in the Peanuts cartoons. "Wah wah-wah wah wah!"

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You only have to worry if they start to think that saying a-boot threatens the 'Ahmerican Way' then you're in trouble. As long as George is in charge you should be safe though as I doubt he could find Canada on the map.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:36 PM  
Blogger marty said...

My knowledge about Canadians comes principally from those brothers whose name escapes me on SCTV.

9:38 PM  
Blogger nanuk said...

WoD: I got this "topic" (how Bob and Doug is that?) from your site and the Weird Al song.

Fatman: Canada is North America's fifth column - so like our neighbours to the south but hell bent on destruction from the within - starting with spelling.

Marty: I am wearing a flannel shirt and a hockey toque as we talk. Search "Bob and Doug MacKenzie" on YouTube for a few episodes. Beauty, eh?

10:08 PM  
Blogger DutchBitch said...

And so it should! (piss you off, I mean)

3:41 AM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

So then, What's all this aboot?? One of my favorite scenes (the only come to think o fit) in Canadian Bacon is where Candy, the Ugly American is at a Canadian hockey game hurling insults and no one bats an eye - till he takes a sip of his beer and says "This beer sucks" then they give him the bum's rush. I like your beer by the way, except for LeBatts.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home