Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Putting the Internet to Good Use

There's a new toy in town: we now have two webcams installed at the airport to give an idea what the local weather conditions are. For those of you who recall my epic journey last March in which it took me 7 days to get back home due to inclement weather, I'm sure you will be able to see why I am so fascinated by this innovation.

The cameras are updated about every ten minutes or so. Unfortunately, because our Internet feed is via satellite it is not feasible to stream the pictures as video. But once every ten minutes isn't too bad.

I will be adding the URL to the sidebar soon, but for those of you who just can't wait to see what the current meteorological conditions are in Salluit, here it is: http://weathercams.krg.ca/weathercam.php?nv=8

One caveat, though. Our airport apron is not lit at night, and the aperture of the cameras are set for maximum depth of field, which doesn't allow much light to get in in dim conditions. So you will have to check the Salluit ephemera for sunrise and sunset, and adjust for Eastern Stnadard Time.

Being ever the prankster, I plan on getting some aluminum pie plates and a fishing rod and start a UFO craze in town. I'm envisioning something à la Ed Wood, and maybe I'll jazz it up with some LEDs and a couple of crucifixes. But I need your help: in order to further develop this hoax, I need to bolster it with some other strange and other worldly phenomena. Crop circles are out of the question, obviously, and I'm not the sort of person who would go in for animal mutilation. So have any of you out there got some ideas? Let me know.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mummified said...

A small child with stigmatas on both hands could work. Use ketchup instead of blood and don't let the onlookers geT too close

11:37 PM  
Blogger FINN said...

well, i'm partial to sexy chickens.

7:54 AM  
Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

n

Floating apparitions of Dead Virgins always seem to go over pretty big.

8:50 AM  
Blogger nanuk said...

Mummified: Kewl. But seriously, there is a rock formation near town that appears, if you squint really hard and use your imagination, somewhat vaguely like Jesus. Would you believe someone actually wants to bring people into town at great expense to see this miracle?

Finn: "Defeathered for canine pleasure" LOL. Reminds me of a condom slogan.

Fairscape: There's a hitch, though. Can't find a virgin in town dead or alive. /True

12:32 PM  
Blogger Mummified said...

I think the Jesus thing is a goer. Add the small child with stigmata (I find heinz tomato ketchup to be a particularly lurid shade of red)and I am thinking - the Lourdes of the North. Also, any faith healers in town ?

10:02 PM  
Blogger DutchBitch said...

So why did you fuck up the second cam? It isn't working. Was it taking X-rated pics?

9:17 AM  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

The Flying Spaghetti Monster! Works every time.

1:41 PM  
Blogger marty said...

Someone walking through the cam in a HazMat suit works wonders

5:30 AM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

So like, it isn’t always cold and icy at the airport?. I think the cameras could update once a week and that would do...

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home