Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Procrastination and Perversion

My apologies for my recent absence. It is truly amazing to me how a simple 5-page writing assignment at work can cause such consternation and anxiety. It's not as if I didn't understand the subject matter, having written a number of background texts and summary charts six months ago. But for some reason, the task became nearly impossible to do.

I am offering to you a new corollary of Murphy's Law: the difficulty in completing any task is directly (and exponentially) proportional to the number of times you have put it off. And once deadlines and absolute deadlines have been surpassed, the chances of ever finishing an assignment becomes practically non-existent.

For those of you keen on procrastination, for whom the Pandora's box of the Internet provides a seductive distraction from actually working, and who compulsively enjoy certain types of websites, I direct your attention to the following film - Perversion for Profit. It is narrated by outstanding news reporter George Putnam, whose command of the subject and forthright delivery style is most impressive and persuasive. I certainly am far the better for having viewed it.

Warning: this requires broadband (and then some).

3 Comments:

Blogger Fuff said...

Nooooo, not more. I thought I'd finished the internet. Must get some work done.....

4:47 AM  
Blogger marty said...

You're right, Nanuk, the internet is a distraction. Instead of surfing, I could've cured cancer, established world peace, and become a millionaire.

1:39 PM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Procrastination? You’re lookin’ at him!!

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home