Monday, April 10, 2006

DIY

Who was it said: "Prohibition - they tried it on TV and it didn't work"?

The puritanical, fascistic, hypocritical tin pot dictators in this town with their $75CDN/month alcohol order limit have won. Their war of attrition against the respectable tipplers and their tacit support for bootleggers has simply worn me out, and the white flag of surrender droops listlessly from my front door post.

Last night, while walking around town in the moonshine pondering the unfairness of it all, an idea started brewing in my mind. All was still, and droplets of liquid inspiration condensed on my brow. Then it hit me like a bolt of white lightning: perhaps it is time to change my whole perspective on the issue.

Yessiree, from here on in it will be nothing but water which passes this bear's lips. Pure, tasty, distilled water. Home distilled, I might add. I've managed to download a couple of sets of plans for my water home distillation unit, and Yuri is pretty handy with a welding torch. All that remains is to order some stainless steel pots, piping and stainless steel welding rods and I figure within the month we'll have her up and dripping away. And I'll never be thirsty again!!

Do any of you out there have any recipes for distilled water?

10 Comments:

Blogger Fuff said...

No recipe ideas I'm afraid, but I would recommend that you ensure your house insurance is up to date before embarking on your new project. Distilled water can be dangerous stuff.

8:28 AM  
Blogger nanuk said...

Funny you should mention that. The first thing an "How-to" article mentions is "Have a fire extinguisher nearby".

9:03 AM  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

No recipes but I admire your enterprise and initiative. Skol!

9:44 AM  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

mmmm.... I have a Régie des a.... just beside my apart! DYOU want me to send ya some of those nice bottles of red water? Is it legal to send red water up North? And take care baby! Distilled Water in tooooo much quantity could be harmful for health! You could drown! :) From inside...

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No and I still don't believe Yuri exists, lol. Give us proof. Let's see a pic!

6:00 PM  
Blogger nanuk said...

WoD: thanks, and sláinte to you.

merlinprincesse: can't be any worse for my health than alcool quatre-vingt-quatorze. I'll be careful.

Nunya: what's with this Yuri fixation? Can he email you with pic next time he's in town?

6:47 PM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

This is Arizona, they only have Meth recipes I am afraid.

Don't use any copper parts in your rig or use an auto radiator as a condenser or your chances of going blind increase exponentially. And no, filtering Sterno through a crust of bread doesn't render it safe to drink.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

There is a pretty amazing Irish recipe for distilled water... I'll try to get it for you.

4:37 AM  
Blogger nanuk said...

TPK - I'm thinking of having the first small batch analyzed at a lab to see if there are any unwanted compounds present.

anna - yes please send that recipe. The Irish are reknowned for distilling water as pure as the mountain dew.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

Add lemon or lime slices. :-)

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home