Saturday, April 15, 2006

Brown Shirts Infiltrate Canadian Bureaucracy

In order to write this post and keep it as inoffensive as possible, I have spent the last 15 minutes outside bellowing as many curses, expletives and viturperatives into the wind in a vain attempt to get overly offensive diction out of my system before putting fingertips to the keys.

I am also aware that for most readers of this humble personal journal the subject of Canadian politics is a sure fire way to prompt an instantaneous outclick to the next blog. I am certain that most of you have already done so.

But I am so beside myself with rage I cannot help myself, and must press onwards with this diatribe. My apologies in advance.

As I indicated a short while ago in a previous post, the recent election of the Conservative Party of Canada was about to inflict upon this nation a secret fascistic agenda. Not one week later, it appears that the muzzling of free speech has already reached a new level.

An Environment Canada scientist, as a private citizen, wrote a novel concerning global warming entitled Hotter than Hell. He was invited to discuss his book publicly at the National Press Club in Ottawa this past week, but was ordered by his department not to. Canadian Tory prime minister Stephen Harper was later quoted as declaring "I obviously not only hope, but expect, that all elements of the bureaucracy will be working with us to achieve our objectives".

There were some early indications of Harper's obsessive-compulsive desire to control free speech. Cabinet minsters have been warned that they will be dumped from their portfolio should they make any public remark which deviates from the official Tory party line. As well, all letters to editors have to first be approved by the Prime Minister's Office. His personal director of communications recently stated she didn't think "the average Canadian cares [about reduced media access to cabinet ministers]".

It is very ironic that the first plank in the government's electoral platform was presented to Parliament last week, the so-called Accountability Act, promising a more open and transparent government for Canadians.

Mark my words, this is only the start.

14 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

First: Don't know anything about Canadian politics (apologies), but any policy that seeks to control what people say/think can't be good?

Second (and this one comes w/apology also - I didn't know where else to post it, but I do want to be educated!): On your poll, I opted to buy you a beer, a Scotch and a bourbon - but what, do tell, is a Laphroaig?

12:10 PM  
Blogger nanuk said...

Eternally Curious: First off, welcome aboard!

Your second question is the more important one in the cosmic scheme of things. Laphroaig is an extremely tasty single malt Scotch whiskey and a favourite of this humble writer. Even though your purchase is virtual, pony up to the bar and buy me as many rounds of this liquid as you deem fit. Remember, it's often the thought that counts.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Oh
My
Insert name of deity here.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Fuff said...

I'll buy you a bottle of Laphroig. 'Tis Easter afterall.

1:01 PM  
Blogger nanuk said...

anna: lol. I choose "Flying Spaghetti Monster".

Fuff: You're a sweet heart! Cheers!

1:05 PM  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

I said Harper was the anti-Christ. I won't, however, be pleased to be proven right.

Look at those eyes. Not a trace of a soul lurks behind those eyes.

Pass the Laphroig. It gonna be a long term...

1:38 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Ahhh - much obliged! So Laphroaig is a Scoth, then? I'll not only be buying you one (or several!) - I'll surely be a joining you then! Thanks much (and for the welcome, too!)

1:49 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Tee Hee ... seems I started without you. I meant "Scotch", of course - not Scoth!!!

1:58 PM  
Blogger nanuk said...

WoD: I'd rather pray for a mercifully short term, but will share the Scotch anytime - misery enjoying company, or something like that.

eternally curious: Scoth or Scotch, as long as it's 40% alcohol by volume it's fine by me.

3:41 PM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Who handles his public affairs, Joseph Goebbels? I didn't think you all had a govenment, only hockey teams...

1:00 AM  
Blogger Mummified said...

I voted for Laphroaig because it is a damn fine whiskey which I have been known to imbibe myself. Frankly, with free speech being curbed in the way you describe, you are going to need it.

6:05 AM  
Blogger nanuk said...

Mr. Fab: The problem is that a steady diet of diatribes will inevitably result in Cranky Old Fart Syndrome years down the road. And we wouldn't want that, would we?

TPK: Reminds me of an old joke:

First Canadian says "I have to take a trip to Moose Jaw".

Second Canadian says "Moose Jaw. Nothing there but hockey players and hookers".

First Canadian, now indignant, says "I'll have you know my sister lives in Moose Jaw".

Second Canadian: "Which team does she play for?"

Mummified: I don't think there's enough Scotch in Scotland to dull my outrage at what is happening here.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

I'd say that, yes, indeedy, the politics up north are dove-tailing right with the shrub administration down south.

Several dozen cases of Laphroaig for you, and several dozen cases of tea and paracetamol for me.

8:56 PM  
Blogger merlinprincesse said...

I will try to stay polite... But Mister Harper is shit! :) Is that polite enough?

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home