Tuesday, March 28, 2006

What is Happening to Me???

I think I'm losing it. Big time.

On average, I have to re-edit any given post at least 3 times after publishing it. And yes, I do proofread and preview before I hit the "Publish Post" button.

I spent five years as an editor for a magazine, and was pretty good at catching most typos and grammatical sins well before the first galley stage. And presently I spend my working hours drafting proposal after proposal (at least that's what I tell my employer). But now, despite my best efforts, I find the most egregious mistakes appearing as if by magic many hours after posting and reposting. What gives?

My theory is that, since I am the creator of the text, I am actually reciting it rather than proofreading when checking for errors. It might also have something to do with dashing off my daily missive minutes before rushing off to work each morning.

But I'm amazed, with few exceptions, how well most of your blogs are written with nary a spelling mistake, errant punctuation mark or poor construction. Just how do you guys do it?

7 Comments:

Blogger nanuk said...

"Slide" into dementia you say? More like a freakin' free-fall, the way I'm feeling these days. I mean, I read the post at least 3 times before I publish, and low and behold, I spot typos a couple of hours later.

Do you think someone at Blogger is doing this on purpose just to push me over the brink?

12:54 PM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

My typing is really the pits. I'll look at at my post before I publish, all looks well but then lo and behold there are all sorts of typos - the thing is all fckued up.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Fuff said...

I do that too. I think blogger hides the mistakes and makes them re-apppear gradually.

7:26 PM  
Blogger nanuk said...

TPK, Fuff et al: I think we're all in agreement that there's evil afoot at Blogger. It goes beyond the mere surreptitious addition of typographical and grammatical mistakes post-publishing. I believe those anti-spam "type the letters above" requests are actually a form of conditioning making us accept the nonsensical juxtaposition of certain letter combinations as "correct".

Time to don the old tinfoil cap when on-line.

7:49 PM  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

On average, I have to re-edit any given post at least 3 times after publishing it.

That's how I do it.

You mean, that's wrong?

11:46 PM  
Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

The truth has been exposed now: Blogger has typo gremlins!

Like you, Nanuk, I often proof my blog post, publish, then have to go back and edit as much as 5 times.

Obviously, we here all cannot possibly be blind, so it must be Blogger at fault.

*shaking fist at Blogger*

3:08 PM  
Blogger SC said...

I agree with everything that has been said, and would herewith like to propose that Blogger be taken to a public place, and thoroughly humiliated with tomatoes.

Having said that, I think I can out-anal the lot of you. I was getting so sick and tired of having to do the triple-editing-after-publishing malarky, that as of yesterday I set up a 'spare' blog, which uses the same template as my real one. Very quick, very easy. I check out my posts in that first for typos and line length and - yaaaaaaawn Seb - other stuff...

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home