Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Valentine's Day Cynic

Long ago I learned I could never be right when buying my significant other any present. This has been doubly true concerning Valentine's Day presents, where my track record has been anything but stellar. Here's a short list of presents which have wet-farted right back into my face:
  • an iron because she had recently trashed the previous one - iron your own fucking shirts!
  • an embroidered sweater - don't you know I don't wear red?
  • her favourite wine - what made you buy this shit?
  • a (cheap, I admit it) diamond-encrusted heart pendant - who'd you fuck now?
  • a vibrator - is it used, little man?
  • a k.d. lang CD - right, like I want to listen to that dike tonight, eh? Why don't I phone my sister so she can join us.
  • 13 long-stemmed roses - how original!
I even sent her on a diversionary shopping trip so I could secretly prepare a special romantic dinner (Steak Diane with homemade sherbet), but when she returned she told me she had just scoffed a couple of Big Macs and the smell of my cooking was making her sick.

I just can't win. And there's no pleasing her. So, I have resolved henceforth to buy her no gift that I couldn't use myself if she turned her nose up at it. Here's what I've thought of so far:
  • 450-piece Mastercraft tool collection complete with chest - but I thought you said you couldn't find the screwdrivers to fix the sewing machine.
  • new set of Ping golf clubs - ya know, hon, we really need to share a hobby
  • membership in the Single-malt Scotch of the Month Club - you mean it wasn't you who keeps on finishing off my Laphroaig?
  • jacuzzi - just think of the romantic moments I, erm, I mean we can have in it
  • indoor gardening kit - Didn't you tell me this house needed more life? (at least I could start a grow-op with it)
And if all else fails,
  • new rope for a clothes line - (c'mon guys - you should be getting good at this by now)
Any other ideas?

4 Comments:

Blogger nanuk said...

Much obliged! I took out the "the" in your blogname just so it would come in at the top of the alphabetical list.

12:18 PM  
Blogger rathwel said...

Don't look at me for any ideas. My track record for buying gifts on any occasion is absolutely dismal.

4:12 PM  
Blogger WrathofDawn said...

If those are the kind of responses you get to gifts (all of which sound perfectly reasonable to me)I think my next gift to her would be a divorce*. (or the equivalent if you're not living the "blesses" state of holy matrimony)

*I take this all back if this is tongue-in-cheek. Admittedly, I've not been reading your blog long so may have missed an in-joke.

I think I'll be going now...

11:11 AM  
Blogger L said...

I agree with the wrath of dawn-- I hope that's tongue in cheek :o

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home