Saturday, February 18, 2006

Lydia One - Polar Bear Nothing

Up here the news of the year so far is how a very petite Inuit mother fought off a polar bear which was showing great interest in her children. I know the woman, I know the town, but I can't say I recognize the bear from my wanderings.

The bear was not full grown (2-3 years old), but Lydia doesn't stand five feet in her stockings. She must have been outweighed in this match by a factor of three.

Just what makes a good bear go wrong? I blame global warming. It's been an unusually warm winter, and the sea ice around Ivujivik is very thin, not conducive at all to seal hunting. It's a well-known fact that polar bears usually come onto land when they're hungry. My fear is that these encounters are going to increase in frequency over the next decades. While I am 27/28ths human, I feel for the bear.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

Found you through Twenty Major... really enjoying your blog so far.

By the way, I feel for the bear too. Just not enough to live that far north! Dayam, but yer a brave humanoid.

1:49 PM  
Blogger nanuk said...

Thanks, Anna!

But it's the tedium and lack of access to single malt whiskies which'll be the death of me, I'm afraid.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home